Nemo Rangers Club History

The History Of Nemo Rangers Hurling And Football Club
My Club, Your Club, Our Club

The story of Nemo Rangers Hurling and Football club stretches back to before the start of the last century when in 1893 Rangers took part for the first time in the juvenile football championship. Rangers were based in the South Parish area and continued to perform well including winning the minor championship in 1907. The origin of the original Nemo team begins around 1910, when the pupils of the North Monastery were anxious to play hurling against the wishes of the school principal, who preferred to promote rugby in the school. A lay teacher, Seamus O hAodha invented the name Nemo, as he wanted the letters NM in the title and as latin was taught in the school, he came up with the name Nemo from the latin word meaning "nobody" - perhaps because they were outlawed by the powers that be. Pupils from the South Parish / Turners Cross area who were attending the North Monastery, then adopted the name and set up the Nemo club in 1915.

A lot of these original players would have practiced their hurling skills in a worked out quarry at the top of Windmill Road - known locally as "the Quash". This would have been close to the present Colaiste Chriost Ri School. And so the two clubs Nemo and Rangers existed side by side, until after a turbulent time in our country's history they decided to amalgamate in 1922, as membership of both clubs had fallen - some having emigrated while others were imprisoned for their part in the fight for freedom. Within six years, the new club had certainly made their mark winning the county Intermediate Hurling and Football Championships in 1928 - a feat that has never been equaled. The club's home ground for some time during the thirties was the present Turners Cross soccer Stadium, but by the late 1930's the club struggled for survival, before a combination of emigration and lack of employment during the war years saw Nemo Rangers withdraw from competitive games. In 1946 the club was reformed by among others the past club president Mr. Pat Lynch.

Those involved immediately went about organising street leagues, to provide games for the youngsters of the area. Club teams won many under-age and minor competitions in the first decade of the new Nemo existence, before the adult teams made their mark on winning the county Junior Football Championship in 1957 and then a record breaking five city Junior Hurling titles in a row from 1960 to 1964. At this stage the club had no home pitch or rooms and eventually got the use of a field on the Tramore Road in the mid sixties. The beginning of the seventies saw a major turning point in the club fortunes, as they acquired land off the South Douglas Road and after years of frustrating defeats, won their first county Senior Football title in 1972. The schools in the area, and in particular the work of the Presentation Brothers and the lay teachers, had played a major role in Nemo Rangers rise to fame. The next twenty five years were to prove a golden era of record success including the winning of ten county football championships, nine Munster club and six All-Ireland club titles. In the meantime the club has provided the county team with an array of talent including two captains of Sam Maguire winning teams - Billy Morgan and Denis Allen.

Throughout these great years an important emphasis has always been put on the enjoyable introduction of youngsters to our national games through the street leagues. Many great stars of today like Steven O' Brien and Joe Kavanagh started their careers playing their hearts out to help their teams in the club street leagues. But even of more importance were the friends they made and still have which makes Nemo Rangers - my club, your club, our club.

The Nemo Greats

Billy Morgan

An Influential figure who made his name as both a Player and Manager of both Nemo Rangers and The Rebel County.

Dinny Allen

Captained Cork to Victory in 1989, but, that was only one of the amazing success' of this man.(Currently Managing both the Minor Footballers and Intermediate Hurlers.)

Jimmy Kerrigan

"Jumbo" one if not the only man to be sent off in Continents but his distinguished career brought many Glories not least the Junior League Medal he won this year.

Steven O'Brien

A member of the Cork Seior Football Panel since the age of 18 and many regard him as one of the Greatest Cork Backs in recent times, still a vital cog in Billy's Senior Football Machine.

Timmy Dalton

Still involved at different levels throughout the club, Highlight of his distinguished career was winning an All-Ireland title with Nemo and Captaining Cork U-21's to All-Ireland success in 1980.

Juvenile Board Formed

At a specially convened meeting of the County Board held at the National Social Club, Tuckey Street on September 30th 1901 it was decided to form a Juvenile Board. Details of Rangers in the juvenile hurling championship are scant. They overcame Lower Road in their first round game at the Lower Park on November 25th and lost to Cove Street in the next round at the same venue on the 26th of January 1902.


Despite the fact that the juvenile competition lapsed once again Rangers remained active. Games against Catholic Boys Club and Cork Boys Brigade are recorded indicating that they were basically a youthful team. It would seem however that the above activity was unofficial as a County Board notice in the Cork Examiner of July 16th implies: “The match Shamrocks v Rangers arranged for Tuesday is illegal and competitors will be debarred from competing with affiliated clubs”. At any rate the Rangers seem to have ceased activity for a period after.


Whilst we have only been able to trace two games, Rangers v Glen Rovers on a friendly and Rangers v Cloughdubh which the latter won in the first round of the minor hurling championship it is likely that Rangers were involved in competitions such as the Hospital Cup and Saturday Hurling League as the team was sufficiently mature to achieve success the following year.

Rangers win hurling title

Eight teams entered for the minor hurling championship for which the draws were: St. Finbarr’s v Rangers Blackrock v Glen Rovers St. Mary’s v Redmonds Bride Valley v Annmount Rangers defeated St. Finbarr’s and Glen Rovers to qualify for the final against St. Mary’s the holders. The game was played on the Cork Athletic Grounds on July 22nd and resulted in Rangers winning their first title on the score 2-7 to 0-11.

Minor Hurling Championship

Defending their title Rangers overcame Fermoy Gaelic League and Annmount to qualify for the semi-final with Mallow. This game took place at the North Cork venue where the home team were convincing winners on the score 4-13 to 2-2.


The Silver Jubilee Year of the Association marked a milestone in the story of Rangers who had perhaps their most successful year to date. Buoyed up by their experience in the Saturday Hurling League they took the major step of entering the Intermediate Hurling Championship which was introduced for the first time that year by the County Board.


This proved to be another successful year. Whilst not enjoying the same level of league success as in 1909 the club made significant progress in the Intermediate Hurling Championship. Four players were selected to play for the first ever Cork Junior Hurling Team. They were the first intercounty players produced by Rangers. Toward the end of the year the first ‘Nemo’ hurling team made an appearance.


There has been much speculation about the origin of Nemo. In fact the original Nemo team was the North Monastery School Hurling Team of 1910-1944. Seamus O Haodha invented the name for the club – Nemo. At the time students wore a cap and blazer on which were emblazoned the letters NM in blue lettering. Latin was the popular third language taught in all secondary schools in those days. Nemo, which means nobody, was a common Latin word. O hAodha to keep the connection invented the name Nemo thereby preserving a link with the established and popular name North Mon.


Rangers won second county title. After two very long years Rangers level of activity diminished somewhat this year. Nevertheless they fielded teams in five different competitions and won a second county title.


Rangers playing assets were somewhat depleted this year as a result of revival of two adjacent clubs (Evergreen & Quarry Road). Despite this setback they took part in seven different competitions but not surprisingly they met with only limited success.

Ranger’s fortunes revived somewhat this year. The intermediate team on the Sunday Hurling League while the minors also made solid progress when winning three rounds of their grade.


This proved to be another reasonably successful year. Despite falling at the first championship hurdle for the fourth successive year the Intermediate team retained the Sunday Hurling League. The junior team reached the county final in their grade. The minor team were involved in the previous year’s championship until June when they lost to St. Mary’s at the semi-final stage.

Nemo - The Beginning

At the time a worked out quarry at the top of Windmill Road – Carrolls Quarry – known locally as the ‘Quash’ played an outstanding part not only in the formation of Nemo but as a nursery for Rangers, Blackrock and Redmonds, many of whose members learned their hurling skills on the stony level patch near the ‘Cats & Dogs’ an animal’s home.

An interesting point is that ‘The Quash’ long since filled in is now part of the Colaiste Chriost Ri complex. How appropriate that the school should now be such a valuable nursery for Nemo Rangers.


Both clubs fielded teams in Intermediate, Junior, Minor hurling and in the Sunday League. Nemo also competed in the Minor Football grade. Both clubs were in action in the Intermediate Hurling Championship on July 4th and both were successful. Nemo’s joy was short lived however as they were ruled out after an objection. Nemo reached the semi-final state in Junior and Minor hurling and minor football while Rangers reached the minor hurling semi-final.

Nemo v Rangers

Because of the continuing unsettled state of the country and the priority which the newspapers gave to reporting on the progress of the First World War details of both clubs’ activity are very difficult to obtain. Nemo were the more active of the two taking part in the Beamish Shield, Intermediate, Junior and Minor grades of hurling and in Minor football. Rangers took part in Intermediate and Minor hurling. As luck would have it Nemo and Rangers were pitted against each other in the Intermediate Hurling Championship. In the event Nemo won by five points.

Nemo won Intermediate Hurling Title

Continuing the quite notable progress they had been making since their establishment three years previously Nemo captured the Intermediate Hurling Championship after a series of runaway victories.

Final - Cork Athletic Grounds
Nemo 7-5 Mallow 0-1

Nemo enter senior ranks

Nemo had a difficult introduction to the senior ranks when they were drawn against near neighbours Redmonds in the first round of the championship. In the event Nemo gave a good performance when going under to a Redmonds team that had most of their 1917 winning players on duty.

Mick Murphy of Rangers was a member of the Cork team that regained the All Ireland title after a sixteen lapse.

War of Independence

Following the landslide victory of Sinn Fein in the November 1918 election. The volunteers pledged an allegiance to the Dail and became the Army of the Republic. In time they became known as the Irish Republican Army although that title was never officially adopted. In the ranks of the volunteers were to be found many members of both Nemo and Rangers. In the course of the campaign some including patsy O’ Donoghue, a founder member of Nemo made the supreme sacrifice while others suffered extreme hardship from which they never recovered properly and had their lives shortened as a result.

Nemo reconvene

The Cork Examiner of Tuesday, February 22nd advertised the AGM of Nemo Hurling Club at the County Board rooms the following night.

Nemo and Rangers clubs decided to amalgamate shortly afterwards. The prime movers behind the amalgamation were Paddy O’ Keeffe and Denny Hegarty of Rangers who had become close friends as officers of the volunteers.

Officials of the new club were:

ChairmanPaddy O’ Keeffe
Vice ChairmanJack Kelly
SecretaryNelius Doyle
TreasurerNed Corcoran
Co. Board RepCon Connolly

New colours

As Nemo had been playing in green and black and Rangers in black and white it was agreed that the new colours would be black – the common denominator – with a green stripe to represent Nemo’s green and a white shamrock (which was later discarded) to represent Rangers’ white.

Around this time the unfortunate Civil War was in full swing particularly in Cork which was captured by Free State Forces in early August. As a result the County Board found it increasingly difficult to carry out its programme.


Nemo Rangers entered teams for the Senior and Intermediate Hurling and Intermediate Football Grades. It must be remembered that although the conflict was drawing to a close the people as a whole were war weary having endured nearly ten years of unrest. Some players were still ‘on the run’ making it impossible for them to prepare adequately. Many of these arrived at the venues and disappeared as soon as the game finished. At any rate Nemo Rangers lost all three first round games.


Despite the fact that the conflict was over part of its legacy lingered on.

After the disappointing results of the previous year coupled with the loss of Bertie Mullis to Redmonds the club regarded to Intermediate status in hurling. They were reasonably successful winning the city section of the Intermediate championship. The footballers also competed at Intermediate level but with less success.


The club continued to compete at Intermediate level in both codes. The hurlers were unlucky to be eliminated in the second round of the championship as a result of conceding a late goal in a game they dominated throughout. The footballers were paired with Cobh who gave a walkover being unable to travel to Monkstown due to inclement weather. The junior hurling team competed in the newly form City Division competitions.


Despite the fact that no honours were won this proved to be a most successful season- the prelude as it turned out of better things to come. The intermediate hurlers defeated Geraldines in the first round of the championship but were ruled out later. It was in the domestic city competitions that the club came nearest to success.


Continuing the progress they had made the previous year the various teams achieved more tangible benefits as the year progressed. All three hurling teams succeeded in entering the winners rostrum whilst the footballers showed promise of better things to come.


In terms of success this was the club’s greatest year to date. In the process of winning their respective shampionships the Intermediate teams established a number of records which still stand today.
1.Their feat of winning the Intermediate Hurling and Football championships in the one year has not been equalled by any other club before or since.
2.The footballers defensive record of conceding only two points over the entire championship is an all time low.
3.The hurlers help Buttevant scoreless over the two games (one abandoned after 25 minutes) it took to decide the final.


Competing in the top grade in both hurling and football was a difficult task for two newly promoted teams. Nevertheless, the senior hurlers despite losing to UCC in the first round of the championship more than held their own in the league and tournament games. The footballers defeated Lees in the first round of the championship but were no match for Collins and they were always struggling in the Kelleher Shield.


Building on their promising showing on their return to senior ranks the previous year the hurlers continued to improve. The loss of their training headquarters at Turners Cross Grounds (which were not taken over by the soccer authorities) did not have any adverse effect. They won most of their league and tournament games accounting for such teams as Redmonds, Carrigtwohill, Glen Rovers, Mallow etc. They had an easy victory over Ballincollig in the first round of the championship. Pitted against the star studded Blackrock team (who had 12 on the Cork selection) in the next round they held their own in most facets of the play before going under 6-5 to 5-4. It was the Rockies closest call that year.

The senior footballers were out of their depth that year. Many of the players were playing soccer with Southern Rovers as well and were not tuned into the requirements of the handling code.

In city division competitions the reverse held true. The minor and junior footballers reached the semi-final stages of their respective championships.


The story of Nemo Rangers in what proved to be a historic year for Cork hurling was a carbon copy of the previous year. For a third year in a row the senior hurlers continued to improve. Boosted by the addition of George Kenneally from St. Finbarr’s, Phil Leahy and David ‘Fox’ Aherne, a 1926 All Ireland medalist from Collins they gave a series of excellent performances the highlight of which was their defeat of Tipperary champions Thurles Blues in the Charleville tournament.

At local level the junior hurlers lost to Glen Rovers but their football counterparts reached the semi-final at minor level.


Despite a promising start to the season when the senior hurlers defeated Claire champions Ennis in the Charleville tournament the fortunes of the club took a downward trend. Defeat by eventual champions St. Finbarr’s in the first round of the championship marked the start of a downward spiral which accelerated to such an extent that the club no longer had a senior team by the year’s end.


The Intermediate footballers fared a little better. They defeated Bandon in the opening round but lost to Redmonds at the next hurdle. The club did not field in minor ranks.


As a result of the loss of most of the previous year’s hurling team due to transfers, suspension and emigration the club had little option but to regrade to junior level. In football the situation was even worse with only Chas. O’ Mahony of the 1928 team still doing duty. Not surprisingly the teams had little success this year.


Football takes a back seat towards the end of 1933. A serious effort was made to revive the fortunes of the club. The decision to opt out of the football was not surprising as the club had little success since winning the Intermediate title in 1928. In truth it seems that there was little interest in the game over the previous couple of years. As events transpired another six years were to elapse before the club again fielded a team in the big ball code.

1935 - 1939

The story of Nemo Rangers in the second half of the thirties is unfortunately all too easy to tell. A humiliating defeat at the hands of Blackrock was an unhappy prelude of things to come as a glance a the records will show. Not surprisingly some of the best players were lured away by neighbouring clubs.

 Fortunately others were imbued with a spirit that refused to let the name Nemo Rangers wither away and die.

Eventually there came a turning in the club’s fortunes. Another humiliating defeat this time at the hands of St. Anne’s in the 1938 junior hurling championship marked the lowest point in the club’s fortunes. After that the club could only go one way – upwards. Stung by the extent of this reverse the members began to reorganise and slowly the position began to improve.


Having struggled to stay in existence for a number of years a new dawn seemed about to emerge for the club as the barren 1930’s drew to a close.

Some former members renewed their allegiance and worked hard with existing members to reorganise the club.

On the playing field the results were slightly better than the previous years. The junior hurlers recorded what was only the club’s second championship victory in any grade since 1932 when they had a point to spare over St. Barries. Fielding a football team since 1933 the club was paired against near neighbours Hibernians who were based in the Margaret Street area.


The secretary’s report of 1951 struck a note of disappointment and despair. Though the club had beaten Kildorrery in the first round of the Intermediate Hurling Championship, they were then soundly beaten by Shanballymore, who went on to win the competition. The club was also beaten early in the junior championship. Training sessions had been badly attended and not taken seriously. Attendances at friendly matches had been poor and the lack of spirit and fight in the important matches was apparent.

All players were urged to improve their attitudes and to remember the great traditions they were entrusted.

Hopeful signs were seen from the minor teams that reached both city division finals and much was expected and to come from them in the coming years.


The urgings of the secretary’s report of the previous year seemed to have been taken on board. Four titles were won though none at adult level – the minor football league, juvenile hurling and football league and the football shield. It was felt that a solid foundation was now being made.

Blarney were defeated in the first round of the intermediate hurling championship, Michael Barrett scoring 4 goals. The team were beaten by the eventual winners Bandon at the semi-final stage.

The junior hurlers lost the Glen Rovers in a second replay after three great contests.

The junior football team started their league well but faded and lost to Brian Dillon’s in the championship.

This turned out to be a remarkable year for the minor, juvenile and U15 teams. The club won 4 competitions and were beaten in the final of five other competitions.


Having decided to once again enter the senior hurling championship a draw again the all-conquering Glen Rovers including Dave Creedon, Christy Ring and a host of other household names was to be their fate. Nevertheless, the team trained extremely hard and a lot of new sliotars were invested in. While being eventually well beaten the team put up a good display and were never over-awed by their illustrious opponents. Indeed, the story goes that when Christy Ring sized up to Vincie Leary at the beginning of the match enquiring who he was – he had never come across Vincie before, Vincie jovially replied – ‘Well Christy, if you don’t know me now – you’ll certainly know me by the end of the match!’ He went to hold Ring scoreless.

The junior footballers went out at the semi-final stage where they were defeated by CIE.

In the minor hurling championship Nemo had decisive victories over Passage, Na Piarsaigh and Glen Rovers to reach the final against Blackrock. In a superb final at Douglas, Blackrock, snatched a late victory by a goal 3-3 to 2-3. Tom Murphy and Finbarr Noonan were best in a match where the standard was very high. In the league final the tables were turned when Nemo won by a goal.

In minor football Nemo were defeated by Na Piarsaigh and St. Finbarr’s but successfully objected to both teams on the basis of the foreign games rule. Things got a little unsavoury when it was claimed that a Nemo club member had been seen at a rugby match, but this turned out to be untrue! Having defeated Clonakility in the county semi-final the team suffered the narrowest of defeats in the final against St. Patricks, Fermoy.

The juvenile A grade hurlers and footballers swept the board capturing league and championship in both codes.

The great year’s successes were continued when Scoil Chriost Ri won the county shield with many club players on the team.

First county title for the new club

This year continued the winning sequence of the previous year. Seven competitions were won including the first adult success since the re-organisation of the club.

At senior hurling level a convincing first round championship win was recorded over Muskerry. The highlight of this game was the superb performance of Bernie Murphy who completely outplayed Cork star Pat Barry.

The junior football team captured the McSwiney Cup in terrible conditions against St. Patrick’s after extra time. This being the first adult success since re-organisation, the team was –

M. Downey, B. Desmond, D. Flynn, F. Murphy, B. Buckley, P. O’ Keeffe, E. McCarthy, J.O’ Mahony, E. Dowe, S. Murphy, S. Flynn, P. Coffey. Subs: N. Power, P. Lyne, J. McCarthy, J. Cripps, M. Murphy, D. McDonnell, N. McElligott.

The long awaited first county championship, the minor football, was brought to the club while the minor hurlers also reached the county final.

A total in of four trophies were won by the minor’s in this historic year.

The minor hurlers defeated Blackrock to win their first city division minor hurling championship. Having beaten St. Brogan’s, Bandon and Millstreet to reach the county final a powerful Riverstown team proved too strong.

The city minor hurling league was also won, beating Mayfield in the final.

In minor football the city championship was won defeating St. Finbarr’s in the final.

The County School Shield competition was once again won by Scoil Chriost Ri.


The phenomenal successes at minor level were continued this year when the county football championship was won for the second year in a row while the hurling championship was also captured – a tremendous achievement by a superb team.

The McSwiney Cup was also won again for the second year in a row.

Discipline was taken very seriously and J. O’ Mahony was demoted as captain of the junior football team after having gone swimming on the morning of a match. T. Murphy was also reprimanded for having gone to an all-night dance just before the game.


This year turned out to be a very difficult one throughout the club. The outbreak of the polio virus caused severe disruption of anything do to with sport. Street leagues was forced to be cancelled and having strived for quite a while to provide recreation and meeting facilities the club premises on the Douglas Road had to be vacated.

The teams had a fairly barren year with pride of place going to the unfashionable junior B football team who pulled off the shock of the season when beating county champions St. Michael’s in the league final.

The senior hurlers were beaten 3-8 to 2-8 by Midleton in the championship.

In the junior hurling championship defeat was also experienced in a high scoring match with Brian Dillon’s 8-6 to 6-3.

The junior footballers reached their first championship final where St. Michael’s proved too strong.

The junior B footballers had a ‘never say die’ attitude and though they lost an earlier game to Togher, beat Mayfield in a section play-off, overcame St. Finbarr’s after receiving a walk-over and triumphed over St. Michael’s though 100-1 outsiders in the final.

The heights the minors reached the previous year were not equalled but they continued to perform well.

Important preparations were also put in place for a senior hurling tournament to aid Mick Daly of Riverstown who played for Nemo in the 1928 intermediate hurling championship winning team. In this final Mick Daly had received a serious eye injury which resulted in him losing an eye – he was not losing the sight of the other eye. Blackrock, St. Finbarr’s, Glen Rovers and Sarsfield had kindly agreed to participate in this worthy cause.

Nemo provided the captains of both Cork minor teams – Pat Coughlan captained the footballs and Vincie Barrett captained the hurlers. The club was also represented by Mick Burke, Vincie Barrett in football and Victor O’ Neill in hurling. Johnny Cotter also did the club proud playing on the Cork U15 team v Waterford.


A long absence since 1928 of an adult grade county championship ended at last with a victory in the junior football county championship.

The minor footballers also achieved their third county championship success in four season and the minor football league was also won. This was indeed a momentous year with a tremendous enthusiasm and spirit being enjoyed by both players and supporters alike.

The senior hurlers opened their championship campaign with an unimpressive victory over Muskerry, 2-6 to 3-1 at Coachford. In the next round they were defeated by the eventual finalist, UCC on a scoreline 3-7 to 2-4.

Pride of place went to the junior footballers who captured the first adult county championship for thirty years. Having defeated St. Finbarr’s in the city final they gave a magnificent display conquering Canovee before a crowd of 18,000 which had attended Cork v Waterford NHL match. They subsequently beat Urhan and then Mitchelstown in a splendid final played in Fermoy – scoreline 1-5 to 0-5.

In junior hurling a defeat was suffered to St. Vincents. In minor hurling the team reached the final after a splendid semi-final against Na Piarsaigh. The final was played four days after the city minor football final when the players stamina had suffered and St. Vincent’s triumphed – going onto win the county title.


This year proved unsuccessful on the trophy front but noteworthy for other reasons. After many years without grounds a pitch was rented at Western Park, Douglas and re-named Nemo Park.

On the playing front the hurlers had re-graded to Intermediate with the footballers making their debut in the senior football championship.

The senior footballers gave a merited display in their championship debut against eventual county champions, Macroom. The team also reached the final of the St. Finbarr’s sponsored An Tostal Tournament but were beaten by St. Vincent’s. Having performed well in the league the transition to senior had been a very successful one indeed.

The junior footballers went out in the second round to St. Nick’s while the young minors lost unluckily to St. Vincent’s in a replay despite being sort captain, Jerry Allen, who also captained the Cork minors that year.

The intermediate and junior hurlers had a disappointing season losing to St. Vincent’s and Lough Rovers respectively in the championship.


The club failed to get beyond the first round of the championship for the second year in a row with little or no practice matches played.

The senior footballers continued to hold their own and indeed had success in the Tostal Tournament.

At underage level Capwell succeeded in capturing the U15 football championship.

The senior footballers went out in the first round of the championship against UCC on a scoreline of 4-7 to 1-5 at the Athletic Grounds.

The intermediate hurlers went out to Sarsfields in a tempestuous championship first round game.

Jack Gorman and Finbarr O’ Shea continued to organise underage affairs. Br. Andrew was invaluable to the U15 Capwell team who won the football championship.

All of the great successes at minor and junior levels in the fifties can be traced back to very good under 15 teams in the earlier years so the underage section of the club was an area of vital importance and hence constantly in need of special organisation.

Start of record-breaking junior hurling championship success

The decline of hurling which had been highlighted the previous year was dramatically halted this season with victory in the junior hurling championship. The decision to re-grade proved successful with more regular league games and hence better preparation.

The senior footballers strove to the quarter final of the championship and were beaten by UCC thus maintaining their steady progress.

Inter county representation was substantial with Vincie Barrett on both Cork senior teams and sub on the railway cup team. John O’ Neill won a Munster junior hurling championship medal and also played on the national hurling league. Brendan Hurley also reached the panel for tournament games. Douglie Barry, Denis McDonnell and Jerry Allen were selected on the Cork junior football panel.

The junior A hurlers had an unbeaten run in the city winning both championship and league.

The junior footballers also had a fine season and gave a spirited performance in the league final before going under to St. Vincent’s.

The minor grade gave cause for concern, though the footballers were defeated in the championship semi-final, the hurlers gave a walk over in the championship.

A historic and very important event for the club was the opening of Colaiste Chriost Ri on Capwell Road. This was to prove a vital nursery for the club and links between both institutions have been unbreakable since its foundation.


In senior football the team went out disappointingly to Urhan in the first round of the championship in a match played in Skibbereen – scoreline 1-7 to 1-5.

The team performed well in the Kelleher Shield and in a newly organised Andy Scannell Cup competition.

This year also brought the first All-Ireland Medals to the club since Jerry Coffeys minor hurling success of 1951. Playing on Cork’s first All-Ireland Minor football winning team were Donal Barrett, Frank Cogan and Ray Cawley. Mick Barrett also represented Nemo on the selection committee and also trained the team.

The junior hurlers remained unbeaten again winning both championship and league in splendid style. The Tomas McCurtain cup was also won for the first time to complete a treble success.

The junior footballers went out to eventual winners St. Finbarr’s in the championship while the minors showed a marked improvement in play and attitude to the previous year.


The junior hurlers continued their winning sequence in the championship but unfortunately at some cost. The final against Lough Rovers was a match few will wish to remember but will stand out forever in the minds of those who were there to witness it. Nemo’s star player, Vincie Barrett, was virtually cut down by a member of the opposition in a most savage act. This callous and cowardly blow, which was struck from behind, silenced and stunned the record crowd present. Vincie lay for some time in a most critical condition in hospital and eventually was able to begin a slow and arduous path back to health. Great concern was shown for the player by members and indeed from other clubs.

At senior football level the teams scored a comfortable victory over Mallow in the first round but were beaten by Clonakilty.

Vincie Barrett brought further honour to the club by being picked for the Munster Railway Cup Football team.

The junior footballers were defeated by St. Vincents in the championship while the minor footballers reached their championship final being defeated by one point by St. Finbarr’s.

The minor hurlers were defeated in the championship semi-final again by St. Finbarr’s.


The strength of hurling within the club was well illustrated this year with the fourth in a row of Junior A championship success. Na Piarsaigh, St. Finabarr’s and Blackrock were defeated to retain the cup for the fourth consecutive year. In the county section Castlemartyr proved too strong at Riverstown on a scoreline of 6-8 to 2-5.

The senior footballers won a great match in appalling conditions against Douglas in the first round of the championship at the Athletic Grounds. Nemo were subsequently beaten by Clonakilty at Bandon on a scoreline of 1-10 to 1-4. The outstanding achievement of the team was the winning of the revived Gaelic Week Tournament with spirited displays against Muskerry and Garda.

The junior footballers went out to Na Piarsaigh after good wins over Lees and Redmonds after a replay.

The minor footballers were defeated by St. Finbarr’s and the hurlers by Brian Dillons in their championship outings.

At under age level the juvenile football championship was won as was the U15A football championship and league captured by Capwell.


It is extremely doubtful that it will ever be emulated – five city division junior hurling championships in a row. This amazing feat will rest in the annals of local GAA history as testimony to a tremendous succession of players After victories over St. Vincent’s, Redmonds and Douglas, St. Finbarr’s stood between the team and record breaking victory. The final was a very close affair and only a late goal by Denis McDonnell secured victory. The historic team lined out: D. Creedon, J. Cooke, J O’ Gorman, M. Downey, J. Allen (Capt), D. McDonnell, E. Brophy, S. McCarthy, J. O’ Leary, J. O’ Neill, R. Cawley. Other players included in this campaign were S. McGann, T. Brophy, G. Allan, D. Dalton, J. McCarthy and B. Hurley. In the county championship Ballinhassig proved too strong, winning 2-9 to 3-2.

The senior footballers went out to a rather weak Duhallow team in the first round of the championship. The game was played at Glantane and ended in a scoreline Duhallow 4-6, Nemo Rangers 3-4.

The junior B hurlers were defeated by St. Mary’s in their championship final.

The minor footballers fielded fielded a very strong team. Having defeated Na Piarsaigh in the championship opener they went under disappointingly to St. Finbarr’s after a replay.

The hurlers also suffered defeat to the same opposition.

Padraig O’ Caoimh, known as the architect of the modern GAA, died this year. Born in Roscommon, he came to Cork as a youth and was soon involved with the GAA. He played hurling with Nemo, football with Nils and was a prominent referee. The ultimate tribute to his name was made with the Cork GAA dream of an ultra-modern stadium was dedicated to him when opened in 1976.


After many frustrating years of searching and fund-raising the club opened its new home base at St. Patrick’s Road. The officers of the club as we entered another era in the club’s development was: President – Joe Forrest, Vice-presidents – Fr. J. Coffey, J. Dunlea, B. Buckley, B O’ Regan, Brs. Cyril, Vincent, Norbert, James and Andrew, T.J O’ Connor, Chairman – Dan Flynn, Vice-chairman – F. Downey, Hon. Secretary Brian Barrett.

The senior footballers had a good run in the championship, only going out to St. Finbarr’s after a last minute goal in the semi-final.

The intermediate hurlers found the re-grading difficult and went out to Shamrocks 2-6 to 1-1.

The junior footballers were defeated by St. Nicholas as the semi-final stage of the championship while the minor footballers went one better reaching their championship final only to be beaten by St. Michael’s 2-9 to 2-5.

The juvenile A footballers won the only trophy at under age level, winning the league title.


Having gone so close the previous year the senior footballers were hopeful glory in the championship. However, they went out surprisingly to Mitchelstown in the second round.

The intermediate hurlers performed well, reaching the Walsh Cup final though going out to Carrigaline in the first round of the championship.

The under-age section was now very vibrant and showing the fruits of its labours with many fine victories.

Co-operation between the General Club Committee and certain adult teams proved tense and this was part of the reason for a rather disappointing year. Only eight out of twenty six players notified turned up for a junior league game while a world cup match was being televised from England in July. Needless to say, this was not well received by the committee.

The junior hurling team had to be withdrawn from the championship as their first round fixture was to be played on Whit weekend when a number of players preferred to go away. Some inter county players preferred to go training with the county team rather than play in a Kelleher Shield match. These and other frustrations led to the Hon. Secretary Brian Barrett wishing to step down after a two year term.

The junior footballers failed to St. Vincent’s after having defeated Lees in the championship while the junior hurlers had to be withdrawn from the championship as stated.

The minor hurlers achieved success in winning the B league with victory in the final over Redmonds.

The minor footballers were defeated by St. Nick’s in their first championship outing.


The junior footballers won an extraordinary championship this year after playing five draws, extra time and one match being abandoned because of weather conditions. If ever a team had its name written on the trophy from the start it was this team.

The senior footballers went out to a strong UCC team which included Billy Morgan in goal.

In the intermediate hurling championship Nemo were beaten by Cobh while the minor footballers went too their championship final only to be beaten by St. Finbarr’s.

Billy Morgan and Frank Cogan were starring with the Cork senior footballers who went to the All-Ireland semi-final where they were beaten by Cavan. Jimmy Barrett had the distinction of winning dual All-Ireland minor medals – he was joined on the winning football team by Der Cogan.

A ladies committee was also elected this year.

The under 15 Capwell team swept the board in football winning league and championship undefeated. The team included players like Brian Murphy, Colm Murphy and Denis Allen. This side were to be all conquering right up to minor level and provide the nucleus of the first senior football championship winning team. An important acquisition also this year was the transfer of Seamus Coughlan from Ballyphehane.

The second junior football team took the C league title to show the strength of football and player numbers at the time.


Activities taking place on the field took second place to those going on off the playing fields during part of this year. The senior football team was withdrawn from the championship in protest at the suspensions given to club players after incidents in the championship game against Imokilly played in Riverstown. The decision to withdraw the team was taken at a meeting of the senior team, selectors and the committee on the night following the issuing of the findings of an investigation.

This year saw the first suggestions of general committee of the club at which other committees would be represented. This was a forerunner to the present management committee structure to control the general running of the club.

The ladies committee began to take a more active part in the affairs of the club. A ladies committee under the guidance of Denis Allen Snr. Organised a bring and buy sale in Colaiste Chriost Ri which yielded a substantial £100 which was credited against the overdraft of the club room. From these humble beginnings the ladies committee continued to be a source of great pride to the club in the varied duties and projects they undertook.

Colaiste Chriost Ri were a great source of pride to the area. They won a marvellous Munster senior colleges double when winning the Harty and Corn Ui Muiri trophies. The footballers then went on to capture the All-Ireland title with victory over Belcamp in the final. Der Cogan captained the historic side and was joined on the team by his brother Billy, Brian Murphy and Joe Barry.

At adult level the year was generally a rather non-productive one. One exception to this was the intermediate hurlers who won the Liam Breatnach Cup with victory over Cobh 5-8 to 5-7.

St. Michael’s defeated the minor footballers in the semi-final of the championship.


One of the most important developments of this year was the advertising of land becoming available on the Douglas Road. After initial discussions with the county board it was felt that the area would be suitable grounds for a permanent home. A bid was made to purchase this site over a few years.

On the playing side an early season seven-a-side league paved the way for a good showing by the senior footballers in the championship where they went out to UCC at the semi-final stage.

The junior footballers also went out at the semi-final stage of the championship to Douglas.

The intermediate hurlers fell to Kilworth by the narrowest of margins in round two.

The successful team of the year were the minor hurlers who captured the B championship and league. The junior B hurlers also won their league.

The ladies committee continued their great efforts with a number of socials held in Colaiste Chriost Ri earning badly needed finance resulting in the club debt coming down by over £200.

The first major success at senior football was the winning of the Kelleher Shield this year though the final against St. Finbarr’s was not played until December 1970. Having already defeated the Barr’s in the championship, Nemo endorsed their superiority with a 4-8 to 0-6 victory.


This truly was a historic and memorable year for the club. While most will remember that the senior footballers came within one minute of winning the club’s first county championship, this was the year when the club truly came of age and entered an era of glory that etched Nemo’s name forever in the annals of GAA history.

In the club’s thirteenth year of entering the senior football grade the team opened its championship account with victory over Cobh at Riverstown. Sean Buckley made an impressive debut at centre-back as did Denis Allen. Brian Murphy and Colm Murphy, who were still minors. In the quarter final Nemo defeated St. Finbarr’s 1-6 to 0-8 at the Mardyke. The semi-final meeting with St. Michael’s was won on a scoreline 1-16 to 2-7. The team started badly but with Frank Cogan playing out of his skin the team gained control and a late goal by Noel Morgan settled the issue. The final throbbed with excitement all through and produced a cliff hanger of a finish. Nemo led 2-4 to 1-1 at the interval – the goals coming from a fisted effort by Sean McGann and a shot from 30 yards by Jimmy Barrett. Denis Allen’s early goal in the second half seemed to set Nemo on their way but they could only manage one point for the next 25 minutes. Muskerry increased their attitude in a never say die attitude. Late points by Mickk Scannell and Jerry Lucey sunk Nemo and ended a final of heartbreak. The Nemo team had gained many new admirers and would live to taste glory in the years ahead.

The minor championship and league sage makes for impressive reading. The footballers qualified for the city championship final with victories over holders St. Nick’s and St. Vincents. They gave their only below par performance of the season when they drew with the Barr’s in the final. The replay was a different story and they won impressively, 3-14 to 1-10 in a game played at Ballinlough.

The minor hurlers qualified for their city championship final with victory over St. Vincent’s in the semi-final. Blackrock proved worthy opponents in the final which was won 4-9 to 3-6. A feature of the game was the classical exhibition by Brian Murphy at centre-back and an electrifying goal by Denis Allen in the 50th minute which secured victory. In the county final against Mallow at Fermoy, Nemo opened in whirlwind fashion and had a formidable lead of 5-6 to 0-6 at half time. In the second half Mallow exploded into action as Nemo became complacent. A goal by Garry Ward, eight minutes from time proved decisive. The winning Nemo team lined out: Joe Murphy, Ed Kelly, Colm Murphy, Kieran Collins, Dan O’ Sullivan, Brian Murphy, Denis O’ Driscoll, Garry Ward, John Couglan, Declan Murphy, Conor Barrett, Liam Minihane, Denis Allen Subs: Andrew Roche, Hugh Barriscale, Frank Lehane, Tony O’ Halloran, Paul Williamson, Brendan Hayes, Mick Burke, Kevin Irwin.

The minors subsequently went on to win both league titles to prove that this was certainly to be reckoned as one of the greatest teams to represent the club at any grade. They were to go on to provide the nucleus of successful intermediate and senior teams but their achievements will difficult to surpass.

There was no doubting the club’s label as ‘most successful club of the year’ at under-age level. The juveniles took all four competitions for which they entered winning the A football league and championship for the third year in succession and the B hurling league and championship for the second year in a row. This is a record that has not been equalled. It was indeed a glory year throughout the club which will be long remembered.


The intermediate hurlers gave the club one of its finest hours in hurling when capturing the county championship for the first time since 1928 with a replayed final win against Carrigtwohill. It was just reward for the likes of Mick Connolly who strived for many years to keep hurling on a par with football in the club.

The intermediates historic championship season opened with a confident win over Newtownshandrum, 4-10 to 2-10 in a game played at Castletownroche. Full-back Ray Walsh was outstanding as were Eddie Brophy, Liam Murphy and goalkeeper Jim Mackey. The team advanced to the quarter-final by virtue of a victory over Castletownroche 3-10 to 3-3 at Castlelyons. In the semi-final another impressive display was given in defeating Cloughduv 3-13 to 2-8 at Ballinhassig. The final now beckoned and Nemo went in as favourites against Carrigtwohill at Cobh. In an extraordinary final Nemo were lucky to escape and force a replay on an amazing scoreline: Nemo 4-13, Carrigtwohill 8-1. The replay proved a tempestuous game but the team completely outshone their opponents winning 4-11 to 2-3. The illustrious line out was: Jim Mackey, Liam Murphy, Ed Brophy, Pat McCarthy, Con O’ Donovan, Brian Murphy, Frank Cogan, John O’ Leary, Billy Cogan, Billy Morgan, Sean Buckley, Denis Allen, Noel Morgan, Seamus Coughlan, Dan Calnan, Subs: Jim Cremin, Ray Walsh, Colm Murphy, John Corcoran, Ray Twomey. The team were short Jimmy Barrett who was injured.

The senior footballers went out to Carbery in the semi-final of the championship but were on the threshold of a big breakthrough. The final score was Carbery 2-9, Nemo 0-13.

The junior A footballers had a great year winning their league, the McSwiney Cup and only being beaten after a replay in the championship final.

This year also saw the commencement of the city division U21 championships with Nemo winning the football and being defeated in the hurling decider. The footballers beat St. Michaels in an enjoyable game, 2-7 to 1-4. Goals by Barry Madden and Billy Cogan were decisive in a game that had John Kiely in goal and Dan Sullivan at wing-back played excellently.

The minor A football side were expected to retain their championship but had to give best to a good St. Finbarr’s side. They had a measure of compensation by winning the league, the sweetest victory coming against the Barr’s who had been crowned county champions.

The juvenile team went one better that the minors in completing the football championship and league double.

Club players were making the headlines at inter-county level. Having won the double the previous year Seamus Coughlan took on the captaining of both Cork minor teams. He led the footballers to the All-Ireland final but was sensationally dropped along with Joe Murphy for the hurling final. This caused great resentment in the club and written representations regarding victimisation were made to the county board. Seamus Coughlan was brought on as a substitute in the final but did not collect the cup. The Cork senior footballers reached the All-Ireland semi –final against Offaly having dethroned the champions Kerry along the way. The club were represented by Billy Morgan, Frank Cogan and Jimmy Barrett.

After the frustrations of the previous year the club development committee had a busy and productive year finally acquiring a new home grounds at South Douglas Road. A figure of £41,750 was the price put on the sale. Representations were made to the county board by Pat O’ Sullivan, Frank Lee, Dan Flynn and Denis McDonnell. It was now up to the members to make it work.


The agony of being so near and yet so far was wiped away on November 19th 1972 when the senior footballers achieved the big breakthrough and won the clubs first county title. It was a proud and emotional day for all when Billy Morgan lifted the Andy Scannell Cup to herald the club’s arrival as the premier senior football club in the county and ultimately the country.

In the championship the senior footballers were thrown in at the deep end with a first round game against St. Nick’s. However in a disappointing game Nemo edged through 0-8 to 0-3 with Kieran Collins scoring four points. In the next round Avondhu were overcome on a scoreline of 3-13 to 3-9 in a game played in Fermoy. It was then onto the semi-final meeting with city rivals St. Michael’s. Nemo went precariously close to an unexpected defeat. Michael’s had a goal disallowed and Nemo snatched their chance and levelled to bring the teams together again for a replay. The second game was another great contest and indeed Nemo found themselves eleven points behind a few minutes before half-time when Jimmy Barrett scored a great goal. Things did not look too good with fifteen minutes to go when suddenly the team clicked and in ten minutes scored three great goals to win on a scoreline of 4-5 to 1-10. The club had qualified for the senior final against UCC and who can forget the player’s great exhibition to come through 2-9 to 0-8. Denis Allen was proving inspiration of the attack while Billy Morgan was brilliant all through but in particular in the first ten minutes of the second half when one save probably meant the difference between winning and losing – a goal 40 seconds after the resumption from a first time kick by Denis Allen which deceived everybody settled the team but it needed two further saves from Billy Morgan before a great goal from Seamus Couglan settled in the issue. The historic line-out was: Billy Morgan, John Corcoran, Eddie Brophy, Brian Murphy, Der Cogan, Frank Cogan, Kieran Collins, Donal Barrett, Billy Cogan, Denis Allen, Seamus Couglan, Liam Good, Noel Morgan, Jim Barrett, Mick O’ Donoughe. Subs: John Kiely, John O’ Leary, Kieran Murphy, Jerry O’ Callaghan, Gerry O’ Leary, Dan O’ Sullivan, Denis O’ Driscoll, Colm Murphy, Sean McGann, Ger Stanton. Ray Twomey had left for Cyprus on overseas duty with the army. Sean Buckley had the misfortune of breaking his collar bone in training before the semi-final but had played his part in previous rounds. A lot of credit for the big breakthrough must also go to selectors Denis McDonnell, Pat O’ Sullivan and Sylvie Cotter who spared no effort in arranging training and practice matches. They also instilled a great spirit in the team.

The club had also decided to upgrade to senor hurling and the team certainly did the club proud reaching the county semi-final against Youghal. However time ran out in the match and Youghal went through 2-13 to 3-8. The team however made their mark in senior ranks. The following was the line out: Larry Williamson, Liam Murphy, Eddie Brophy, Pat McCarthy, John O’ Leary, Brian Murphy, Frank Cogan, Billy Cogan, Jimmy Barrett, Billy Morgan, Sean Buckley, Denis Allen, Noel Morgan, Seamus Couglan and Dan Calnan.

The minor footballers captured another county championship in great style with Liam Good and Kieran Collins starring in both county successes. The strength at this level was also shown by the winning of the minor B football league. The junior footballers were not to be outdone with the A team being defeated in their championship final. The depth of talent throughout the club was quite staggering and the envy of all others.

Throughout what was a hectic year on the playing fields the club’s development at South Douglas Road was beginning to take shape. The playing field had now been completed and it was hoped to have it ready for playing by the following summer. The ladies committee had been responsible for the redecoration and furnishing of the house. Gerry Allen was vice-chairman and Sean Twomey was treasurer in this historic year. The all-important development committee was of Dan Flynn (chairman), Sylvie Cotter (Hon Sec), George Walsh, John Cotter, Frank Lee and Frank O’ Flynn. They had put in trojan work overseeing every detail of the work carried out on the new pitch and grounds.


When Billy Morgan received the Andy Scannell Cup the previous November he promised to bring the All-Ireland back to Cork. Little did he realise what a momentous year 1973 would be with Nemo becoming the first Cork club to win the All-Ireland club title and the Cork senior team bringing the Sam Maguire back to Leeside after twenty eight years in the doldrums.

The senior footballers march to the All-Ireland title began with victory over Stradbally of Waterford 1-11 to 1-5 at Walsh Park. In the Munster semi-final Nemo were short several regulars but a fortuitous 33rd minute goal by Seamus Coughlan proved the vital score as Nemo advance 2-9 to 2-7. The club became Munster champions for the first time by virtue of a 3-9 to 0-5 victory over Doonbeg in a final played at Kilmallock. Jimmy Barrett was majestic at mid-field in the first half and they continued to dominate in the second period with Der Cogan being chief marksman with 2-1. The new Munster champions then travelled to Pearse Stadium, Galway where they humbled Connacht champions Fr. Griffins on a scoreline of 0-17 to 0-9. They had now been set-up as favourites to win their first All-Ireland title. The match went ahead on the 4th of June and in a wonderful exhibition of football a draw was the end result in a thrilling game at Portlaoise. The replay on 24th of June at Thurles saw Nemo make no mistake in proclaiming their right to be All-Ireland champions when they triumphed 4-6 to 0-10. The key to the game was the mastery of Frank Cogan once again, the brilliance of Billy Morgan in goal and the scoring of goals at vital stages of the game. The first club side to bringing the title to Leeside was: Billy Morgan, John Corcoran, Eddie Brophy, Brian Murphy, Ray Twomey, Frank Cogan, Denis O’ Driscoll, Donal Barrett, Mick O’ Donoughue, Kieran Collins, Seamus Couglan, Billy Cogan, Liam Good, Jimmy Barrett, and Colm Murphy. The three selectors – Pat O’ Sullivan, Denis McDonnell and Frank Lee could take great credit for a job well done.

On the domestic front the team were surprisingly beaten by St. Finbarr’s in the first round of the championship 0-9 to 0-7.

The intermediates had their moment of glory when they clinched the league title with a 1-15 to 0-7 victory over Bishopstown.

The minor footballers also captured the league title beating county champions St. Finbarr’s to win their fourth minor league title in a row.

The senior hurlers had gone out disappointingly to a strong Glen Rovers team in their first championship outing. Hurling need an urgent boost and it was hoped that having contested three U21 hurling finals in a row that further talent was fourthcoming.

Nemo now had a home premises second to none in the country. After waiting seven months, planning permission was granted and by mid-February tenders were invited. By the autumn the finishing touches were being put to the building after over £100,000 being spent in providing the facilities for the members. Dan Flynn, George Walsh and the committee had put enormous effort into the project.

Dan Flynn had once again taken over as club chairman with Mick Donnellan now acting as secretary and Denis Allen Snr. Continued as club president. Meanwhile the ladies committee continued to do more than its fair share in fund raising but particularly this year in the interior decorating of the club.


The winning of the club’s first senior football title and subsequent All-Ireland success had whet the appetite of the team for further success which they achieved in style with the club’s second county title this year.

The senior footballers path to regaining the county title began with a facile win over Na Piarsaigh 5-10 to 0-2 in a game played at the Athletic Grounds. At the quarter final stage they were given quite a frift by the Barr’s before emerging victorious on a scoreline of 1-10 to 0-11. In the semi-final St. Nick’s provided a stern test for three quarters of the game before Nemo came through 1-11 to 1-3. It was now on to the final against Carbery at the Mardyke on October 6th. An attendance of 10,730 saw Carbery in control for the first twenty minutes in which Nemo only scored one point from Jimmy Barrett. However, when the Carbery shooting went astray Nemo took the game by the scruff of the neck and went into the interval leading 0-6 to 0-5. A decisive four minute spell after the resumption saw Liam Good score a goal and then Declan Barron sent a Carbery penalty wide. When Carbery came within a point the Nemo defence held firm and a very good goal by substitute Noel Morgan with five minutes remaining gave the team a commanding six point lead. The final fifteen was: Billy Morgan (capt), John Corcoran, Eddie Brophy, Frank Cogan, Der Cogan, Brian Murphy, Denis O’ Driscoll, Kieran Collins, Mick O’ Donoughue, Billy Cogan, Seamus Coughlan, Seamus Leydon, Liam Good, Jimmy Barrett, Colm Murphy. Subs: Noel Morgan, John Kiely, Ray Twomey, Jerry Weldon, Denis Linehan, Dan O’ Sullivan, Kieran Murphy, Declan Murphy. On December 15th Treaty Sarsfields, the Limerick champions, were humbled at the Mardyke 4-15 to 0-1. The following Sunday December 22nd, it was a semi-final meeting with old rivals Doonbeg at Askeaton. It wasn’t until Jimmy Barrett entered the fray as substitute and scored the first goal entering the last quarter that Nemo stretched ahead and eventually won 3-6 to 0-4. The team had now reached the final and a memorable sequence of games with Austin Stacks, the Kerry champions. One week later a depleted team completed a historic year by beating Canovee in the Kelleher Shield final.

It was a year of great glory and ultimate heartbreak for the senior hurlers who unceremoniously ousted the famed Glen Rovers 5-8 to 2-14, and were within two minutes of reaching their first county final only to go under to late scores by Blackrock.

The U21 footballers continued the club’s great record in the competition by winning the county title. They reached the city final against St. Michael’s. Nemo stole the title with two goals in the last eight minutes. Victories over Macroom and Beara saw the team qualify for the county final against Glanmire at the Mardyke. Going into the game as favourites is never easy and Glanmire rose to the challenge, before Nemo eventually emerged on a scoreline of 1-10 to 2-5.

The junior B footballers had their moment of glory when winning the league title with a 1-11 to 0-4 victory over Delaneys.

It was entirely appropriate that the Andy Scannell Cup should take up residence in the club’s new home which was officially opened on November 10th 1974. It was also appropriate that Dan Flynn should be at the helm as chairman of the club after being largely instrumental in obtaining, developing and completing the complex. Earlier on in the day a special luncheon had been attended by dignitaries and those associated with the development project. The club members and guests then celebrated late into the night. It was a proud day indeed for all Nemo people. The full-time management of the bar was handed over to John Chamberlain and his wife Sheila. They were to provide many years of excellent service and diligent management right up to 1993.


What a hectic year this turned out to be for the senior football team. The early part of the year was dominated by the regaining of the Munster club title and subsequent defeat by UCD in the All-Ireland club final. Efforts then had to be re-focused to the retaining of the county title which was achieved in impressive style when overcoming Doheny’s in the final.

The club were again on the Munster club trail and a succession of games against Kerry champions Austin Stacks which will long live in the memory of those lucky enough to have witnessed them. Squeezed in between this hectic schedule the Kelleher Shield was won to complete a glorious season. It was ironic that the senior footballers began the year as they were to end, that is, locked in combat with Austin Stacks, the Kerry champions, for the right to be club champions of Munster. It took a late penalty by Seamus Coughlan and a brilliant save by Billy Morgan to earn victory on a scoreline 2-6 to 1-7. Clan na Gael from Armagh then travelled to Cork with a large party and almost came away with a shock victory in the All-Ireland semi-final. Declan Murphy earned Nemo a replay with a dramatic equalising goal in the last minute of a substandard performance. Indeed had the visitors not shot 23 wides it would certainly have been curtains for Nemo. The replay saw the club make the long journey to Lurgan and with a mixture of shrewd team tactics and two shock second half goals, Nemo won 2-5 to 0-6. Nemo had qualified for their second All-Ireland club final against holders UCD. For three quarters of the game at Croke Park on March 17th, Nemo looked to be on the way to their second title. However, UCD dominated the final quarter to end up 1-11 to 0-12 victors.

It was a sign of the character of the team that they bounced back to retain the county title in impressive fashion. An early comprehensive victory over Canovee was followed up by a close 2-10 to 2-8 victory over Carbery. Clonakilty were easily overcome 3-12 to 0-5 in a game where Clonakilty tried in vain to match Nemo’s short passing game. The semi-final local derby against the Barr’s was a different affair with Barr’s missing two penalties and overcoming an eight point deficit in the last ten minutes to draw the game. The second game saw Nemo make a late recovery when Denis Allen scored an equalising goal followed by points from Noel Morgan and Jimmy Barrett and Nemo emerged on a 2-9 to 0-13 scoreline. A feature of this game was that all the Nemo scores came from play while the Barr’s were kept scoreless for the final 20 minutes. Having being given quite a fright Nemo overcame Doheny’s in the final at the Mardyke on September 21st. A 4-12 to 0-4 victory. Nemo totally overwhelmed Tipperary champions Kilruane McDonaghs 7-15 to 0-3 om the first championship game played a the club’s own grounds in the South Douglas Road. Thus mid-December saw the team take on Austin Stack’s for the Munster title at Limerick. Both sides had periods of dominance with Kieran Collins marking Sheehy well before Allen’s goal brought the sides together again a week later on December 21st for the replay. Round two left Stack’s wondering what they had to do to win a title. Nemo, who had another poor start, led from the 21st minute following a great Seamus Couglan goal, until the 14th minute of the second half when Mick Sheehy converted a penalty. Stacks were more dominate now until a late Kieran Collins free levelled matters for the last time. Round 3 was played in mid-January of the following year. A litany of injuries had forced Nemo to seek a postponement which Munster Council refused. Eventually all of the team’s walking wounded played in a game where the brilliance of the defence and a dramatic late goal by Liam Good earned the club its third Munster title. In between the Kelleher Shield was also captured with a convincing 3-16 to 0-7 victory over the Barr’s in a game which Denis Allen Scored 1-8.

The senior hurlers had victory over Na Piarsaigh in the first round 2-7 to 0-7. In the quarter final they came from behind to score a comprehensive victory over UCC 4-14 to 1-9. In the semi-final the Glen were anxious for revenge following their defeat of the previous season. The Glen strove to a 4-10 to 2-9 victory. The U21 football campaign proved a long one coming in April and continuing until the county final in mid-December. The team qualified for the city final following victories over Redmonds, St. Nick’s, and Na Piarsaigh. The final against St. Finbarr’s was an excellent game with the Barr’s opening strongly only to be pegged back following a fisted Donncha Geary goal. Joe Murphy in goal was inspirational making one superb save from Jimmy Barry Murphy. Nemo emerged on a 2-12 to 0-13 scoreline. On the path to the county final the team defeated Ballydesmond 3-11 to 0-5 and a week later a late goal by Denis Linehan decided the semi-final against Macroom 1-5 to 0-6. The final was against Beara in Dunmanway. An early goal by Donncha Geary settled the team. Midway through the second half Donncha Geary again pounced and when Beara failed to convert a penalty Kieran Brady clinched the title with the side’s third goal. Mick Dorgan had also scored four good points while Donncha Geary completed his hat trick late in the game to contribute to Nemo’s 4-8 to 0-10 victory. The team that retained the title was: Joe Murphy, Dudley Murphy (RIP), Denis Linehan, Liam Good, Kieran Collins, Kieran Brady, Donncha Geary, Mick Cawley, Mick Dorgan Sub: Ger Noonan.

At under age level the juvenile footballers had a notable treble winning the city and county championship and the league title.


This year was to be one of so near and yet so far as club teams suffered narrow defeats at the semi-final stage of many competitions.

Following an exhausting series of games against Austin Stacks, the senior footballers went out to old rivals St. Vincent’s of Dublin in the All-Ireland semi-final at the Mardyke. They also went out to St. Finbarr’s at the semi-final stage of the county championship 0-10 to 0-8. Early the following year the team gained some revenge when defeating the Barr’s 1-12 to 1-5 to retain the Kelleher Shield at Mayfield. The Nemo goal was scored by Billy Morgan who played at corner-forward giving Sean Martin his opportunity in goal.

The senior hurlers proved far superior to Imokilly in the first round of the championship winning 4-14 to 1-8 at Riverstown. Billy Morgan notched up 1-7 and had an excellent game at midfield while brother Noel crashed home two second half goals to put the issue beyond doubt. An under strength team were well beaten by Seandun in the quarter final at Church Road.

At under-age level pride of place went to the juvenile footballers who retained the city championship title with a 4-3 to 0-6 victory over Bishopstown. Denis O’ Driscoll again had the team in great shape.

This year also saw the opening of Pairc Ui Chaoimh. It was the first custom built GAA stadium and appropriately named after Padraig O’ Caoimh, a former Nemo player, officer and founder member. Ironically the first game in the new stadium involved Nemo when they defeated Douglas in the intermediate football championship. By coincidence Nemo were also involved in the last match to be played in the old Athletic Grounds when being defeated by Glen Rovers in the senior hurling championship semi-final on September 8th 1974.

Brian Barrett was elected to the new post of youth officer of the county board. Brian’s dedication was to see him make a great success of the position and indeed progress to other important officerships within the county board.

Brian Murphy completed a unique record when he completed a full set of All-Ireland medals when starring on the Cork senior hurling team which defeated Wexford at the start of the three in a row campaign. He now holds medals for minor, U21 and senior in both codes. It brought his total of Celtic crosses to eleven including colleges and club medals also. He was one of Cork’s greatest dual players who represented Nemo with distinction and will always be to the forefront of the club’s hall of fame.

The ladies committee continued their trojan work organising Saturday night entertainment, senior citizen’s party and annual dinner as well as regular hosing of outside teams.


The senior football team once again did the club proud by regaining the county championship with victory over St. Michael’s in the final. The footballers set up a quarter final with St. Finbarr’s following a facile victory over Muskerry 2-16 to 1-5 at Bandon. The Barr’s were forced to abdicate their throne when Nemo pulled out all the stops to defeat them 0-9 to 0-7 at Pairc Ui Chaoimh in early June. A brilliant save by Billy from Jimmy Barry Murphy’s shot just before half time kept his side in the game. In the semi-final the team were well on top against Bishopstown advancing to the final on a scoreline of 3-17 to 2-7. Jimmy Kerrigan and Tim Dalton made their championship debuts and were to continue to star for a further two decades. Meanwhile St. Michael’s had emerged to set up an all-city final pairing. The decider was played in heavy conditions at Pairc Ui Chaoimh on October 23rd. It was not a day for fancy football and the experience of the Nemo defence came to the fore. Nemo bounced back with a converted Denis Allen penalty after Denis Linehan had been taken down. The turning point of the second half was the awarding of a 40th minute penalty to St. Michael’s which was almost inevitably saved by Billy Morgan. St. Michael’s seemed to panic after this and the Nemo defence stood firm. Nemo had inscribed their name on the trophy for the fourth time as Seamus Coughlan received the cup. They finished the year with a 2-14 to 1-4 victory over Waterford champions Ardmore at Fermoy. Nemo had total mastery and scored almost at will. The Munster final meeting with star studded Thomond College was eagerly awaited.

The senior hurlers were most unfortunate to go out of the championship in the first round when beaten after a replay by a strong Youghal side. The first game ended Youghal 2-6, Nemo 1-9 after Billy Morgan pointed a free with less than two minutes remaining. The second game again at Castlemartyr provided a heart break defeat for Nemo on a scoreline 2-10 to 1-12. The team gained some compensation when winning the Liam Breathnach Cup with a comprehensive 7-10 to 3-6 drubbing of Newtownshandrum at Fermoy.

The junior B footballers, under trainer Jim Cremin, had their moment of glory when defeating Rochestown in the championship final. Nemo led 3-2 to 1-1 at half time thanks to a penalty save by Nemo goalie Ger Harrington. Jim Hartnett was outstanding in defence while Tom Murphy had a great game at mid-field in a game where Rochestown were striving to win their first championship trophy.

Though the minor footballers had disappointed in the championship decider they showed their true credentials when defeating the Barr’s in the league decider in poor conditions, with falling snow. Francis Lennox made important saves while Jimmy Kerrigan, captain Tim Dalton and Tony Dwane were best as Nemo captured their eight league title.

On the administration side Sean Twomey had taken over as club secretary in April due to the resignation of John Driscoll for work reasons. John had worked diligently and was to take on secretarial duties again in the coming years. Paul O’ Neill took over as assistant secretary, Donal Barrett was now acting as treasurer. Sylvester Cotter had taken over from Denis Allen Snr. as club president.


A year of highs and lows is how this twelve months can best be described both on and off the fields. While having a certain amount of disappointments and its fair share of controversy the highlight was retaining of the county senior football championship to make it five titles in seven years. In the quarter final against Naomh Aban at Macroom Nemo had to pull out the stops before winning 0-15 to 1-6 the team still seemed to be below par when overcoming Clonakilty 0-10 to 0-4 in the semi-final at Bandon and so they had qualified for a repeat of the previous year’s final against St. Michael’s on September 17th at Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

The eventual controversy surrounding the senior hurlers distracted from some good performances. Victories over Na Piarsaigh and Bandon had set up the infamous replay to decide who would go forward to the quarter final stages. Nemo had been four points clear with two minutes to go but Bandon secured a draw with a late goal and a point. The marathon ended prematurely two weeks later following a fracas with five minutes remaining when Nemo were two goals to the good. It was a sad way to end the contest though both sides urged the referee to finish the game. Nemo led 1-5 to 0-6 and Nemo maintained their control until the ill-fated closing stages. Both teams were subsequently disqualified from the championship.

The county senior football ball final against St. Michael’s proved to be a tempestuous affair with the St. Michael’s frustrations illustrated by some heavy handed tactics. Some shrewd switches by the selectors after half time produced dividends. Captain Billy Morgan emerged to dominate at centre back while Jimmy Kerrigan and Kieran Collins put up a stern defence. St. Michael’s only scored 2 points in the second half while Nemo added 1-6. Denis Allen scored an all important goal in the 48th minute despite heavy physical punishment. Tim Dalton also contributed three points to the final total Nemo celebrated their fifth title in seven years. The findings and subsequent decisions of the county board regarding the senior hurling match were strongly disputed by the club and following a management directive the president and the chairman went to accept the trophy after the triumphant players returned to the dressing rooms. A club statement stated that ‘Nemo Rangers were merely exercising their democratic right to protest and had broken no rule in changing the process of acceptance of the cup’. The almost annual tussle with Austin Stack’s was next on the agenda at Pairc Ui Chaoimh and once again finished in a draw. The replay at Tralee saw Nemo end the year on a high note when they secured a provincial final place with a well merited victory 1-12 to 2-8.

The minor footballers qualified for the city final following victories over St. Finbarr’s and St. Michael’s. The final against St. Nick’s proved to be third time lucky as Nemo had been beaten finalists for the past two years. Goals from Seamus O’ Leary and Ephram Fitzgerald had given Nemo a 2-4 to 0-3 half time lead but further St. Nick’s pressure brought them within one point before points from the previously mentioned players secured victory on a scoreline 2-7 to 1-8.

In early November, Billy Morgan and Frank Cogan were appointed to act in a dual capacity as trainer and coach respectively.

Socially, quiz nights were now popular under quizmaster Michael O’ Brien and sponsored by PJ Carrolls. The weekly 45 card drive was now popular and well established by Con O’ Shea (RIP).


The blizzard which descended on Croke Park on St. Patrick’s Day still could not dampen the celebrations as the club claimed their second All-Ireland club title. In early February the senior footballers regained their provincial crown with a 0-8 to 0-5 victory over Clare champions Kilrush. A month later the team took on Killerin from Galway at Tuam and always looked the better side emerging on a scoreline of 3-6 to 1-6. Scotstown of Monaghan had been the surprise packet of the championship as they strove to a final place in Croke Park on St. Patrick’s Day. It was a case of spot the ball for most of the match as a blizzard provided a white carpet for players. Nemo, however, had comprehensively won the ‘battle of the blizzard’ on a final scoreline of 2-9 to 1-3. Brian Murphy was a worthy recipient of the trophy to delight the loyal supporters. The final team was: B. Morgan, F. Cogan, F. Stone, K Murphy, J Kerrigan, B. Murphy, D. O’ Driscoll, K. Brady, D. Linehan, J. Barrett, D. Allen, T. Dalton, N. Morgan, K Collins, and C. Murphy. Sub: Declan Murphy. The selectors, Bernard Harrington, Mick O’ Donoughe, Paddy O’ Sullivan, Eddie Brophy and Paddy McDonnell had played a vital part in the great victory also. These successes had made Nemo Rangers a household name and the envy of every club side through the length and breadth of the land. The exhausting season finally faltered when beaten by Castlehaven in the county semi-final. The Kelleher Shield once again resided in its second home following victory over St. Finbarr’s.

The immediate future still looked bright when the U21 footballers once again regained the county title with a decisive final victory over Beara on a scoreline of 3-12 to 0-2. The team held their opponents to just one point in each half as three snappy goals by Ephie Fitzgerald, Billy Sheehan and Ger Rea killed the game as a contest. The winning team line out was: S. Martin (Capt), M. Kenneally, P. Martin, L. O’ Keeffe, J. Barry, T. Hennebry, D. Cronin, J. Kerrigan, A. Keane, D. Murphy, S. Hayes, T. Dalton, B. Sheehan, G. Rea, E. Fitzgerald. Subs: T. Dwane, B. McCarthy.

At junior level the A footballers had a great season winning the championship and league double. In the championship final against the Barr’s, Nemo bridged a 12 year gap winning 1-8 to 1-5.

The junior B footballers gained consolation for the championship final defeat when winning the Seandun Cup defeating Brian Dillons.

Bernadette Allen had been elected club secretary and her excellent organisation and devotion to the job was to continue for many years to come. Peadar Garvan was now president with Dan Flynn as chairman and Arthur O’ Keeffe vice-chairman.

Mrs. Noreen Corcoran was now organising the social and entertainment diary where she was ably assisted by the popular Derry Kenneally whose MC position was undisputed.


The intermediate footballers took centre stage this year when a good mixture of experience and youth was instrumental in winning the county championship with victory over Midleton at Pairc Ui Chaoimh. The intermediate footballers started the year by outshining the seniors when beating Castlehaven to win the section two final of the 1979 senior football league. The team were completely dominant in their first championship game against St. Vincents – Nemo 1-15, St. Vincents 3-2. Three first half goals by Noel Morgan, Donal Murphy and Billy Sheehan against Macroom provided the spring board for a 3-7 to 0-10 victory before Mitchelstown were beaten 1-9 to 0-7. A gap of 54 years was bridged when the team triumphed over Midleton in the final 2-6 to 1-4. The team lined out as follows: Sean Martin, Mick Kenneally, Jerry Weldon, Mick Queally, John Barry, Donal Cronin, Donal O’ Sullivan, Donal Murphy, Aidan Keane, Billy Sheehan, Charlie McLoughlin, Charlie Murphy, Noel Morgan, Mick Niblock, Jimmy Barrett Subs: Paudie O’ Sullivan.

The U21 footballers continued the club’s excellent record in this grade by retaining the county title. The U21 footballers qualified for the city final with victories over Na Piarsaigh, St. Finbarr’s and Bishopstown. The standard of football in the final against St. Nick’s was very high and Nemo were made to fight all the way. Kieran Buckley’s important save midway through the second half proved vital and Jimmy Kerrigan’s goal was to be the match winning score. In the first round of the county the team were far too good for Naomh Aban winning 3-15 to 0-5 at Cloughduv. The semi-final against Castlehaven was closer at Clonakilty. Tom Hennebry, Leonard O’ Keeffe and John Barry were impressive in defence as Nemo eventually won 0-10 to 0-3. The final against Beara was a one-sided affair at Aughville. Ephie Fitzgerald was outstanding a full forward scoring 1-8 as well as having a goal disallowed. The defence, marshalled by Tom Hennebry were solid throughout as Tim Dalton captained the team to a fantastic victory – 3-16 to 1-4. The final team was: Kieran Buckley, Mick Kenneally, Paudie Martin, Leonard O’ Keeffe, John Barry, Tom Hennebry, Donal Cronin, Jimmy Kerrigan, Aidan Keane, Donal Murphy, Sean Hayes, Tim Dalton, Billy Sheehan, Ephie Fitzgerald, Tony Dwane, Subs: Liam Twomey, Michael Lynch.

The senior footballers also qualified from the preliminary rounds following victories over St. Michael’s, St. Finbarr’s and St. Nick’s. Naomh Aban proved a surprise packet in the quarter final before Nemo eventually won 2-6 to 0-10. This had now set up a semi-final local derby against the Barr’s in Ballinlough. Some defence lapses at the end of the first half and start of the second half were capitalised on by the Barrs, particularly James O’ Callaghan, who was later to become a Nemo player and these three goals decided the game 3-10 to 0-12.

At senior level the hurlers qualified for another meeting against Glen Rovers at the quarter final stage following good wins over Na Piarsaigh and Bandon in their league section. Against the Glen, Nemo fought gallantly but in the last quarter the Glen pulled away, winning 1-15 to 0-9.

The minor hurlers won the B championship and league double. In the championship decider there were fine performances from Kieran Murphy, Tony Nation, John Lynch and Denis O’ Brien.

The minor footballers repeated the hurling success when winning the A league with victory over St. Finbarr’s.